Pages

July 27, 2004

don't be fooled, they're American!



Monday, July 26

Over the past year I must have eaten more pizza than I had in my whole lifetime before I came here. There have risen progressively more opportunities for me to eat pizza lately, and today I had some "desesrt pizza" - it was my first time trying sweet pizza! The slices we had were called something like lemon pizza (I forgot); on a thin, crispy crust there was generously spread lemon jelly, over which were what seemed like cinnamon-y crumbles scattered, and finished off with icing. I picked up one slice.



It was pretty good. Tart lemon jelly and crumbly crumbles went very well together, I thought. It was like lemon tart, but with a pizza crust instead of a pastry crust. I thought I really liked it, until my third or fourth bite - then I realized it was, alas, too sweet, to me at least. Even though the pizza was so thin and the slice was fairly small, I should not have underestimated its nature being an American sweet, which can be associated with such qualities as generous, rich, hearty, big, and of course, sweet.

Speaking of pizza, there is one pizza place that I like near our house. It isn't a chain and very small deli-style pizza shop, but their pizza is delicious - the thin and crispy crust, fresh sauce, somewhat overdosed cheese, and a variety of toppings - they are a favorite of both of us, one of whom is an all-time pizza lover (him) while the other is a least fervent advocate of pizza in general (me).


By far my favorite topping is a combo of basil pesto, sun-dried tomato, and onion. So far this is the only pizza that I would have a craving for in town.

But wait, that lemon pizza wasn't bad, really... maybe I need to try them again just to see if they really were bad.

4 comments:

Estelle said...

The sweet pizza does not look that appetizing to me, but the other one from your favorite pizza place is another story, it looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

I just recently started reading your blog but already am aware of your love of ginger. I just happened to catch Food 911 on tv today that had a ginger-lemon ice recipe and thought of you. The url is http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26033,00.html
It's a cute ice recipe because it's served in hollowed out lemons.
~Andrea

mela said...

Mmm, that second one looks delicious!

I like some of the pizzas at Cafe Pesto. But then, I like almost everything at Cafe Pesto :p

chika said...

Hi there,

Estelle - the sweet one wasn't bad, really, but yeah, I won't probably go back...

Andrea - thanks for the link, and I am so pleased to hear that someone thought of me when looking at ginger something! What's an honor :-)

mela - wow, you're from Hilo too! I've been to Cafe Pesto only once but I had pizza that time. It was a quite a while ago, I can't remember exactly what I had... but it was a pizza with edible flowers on top. It was pretty and tasted good. The one I mentioned here is Pizza Hawaii, at Puainako.