Pages

August 13, 2004

ripe green experiment


Monday, August 9

Relieved from the work, I baked cake last night (I was still sick, but baking in the middle of the night is, to me, a remedy to collect myself). With an avocado all the way ripened in the fridge, I decided to take on avocado bread.

I had seen several recipes using avocado in place of butter/oil, but this one somehow seemed very straightforward; using a generous amount of avocado, an otherwise very standard set of ingredients, and no spice or any other flavorings, not even vanilla. I was being very curious.

My avocado was really ripe, and that locally-grown kind is particularly buttery even when it is not so ripe - the pulp was extremely soft and almost no mashing was necessary. Mixing the ingredients together and put the loaf pan in the oven, baked for about half an hour or so (I reduced the ingredients to half), took it out, and I went to bed.


This morning I cut some slices of my avocado bread. The cake looked sort of green outside, but more greenish inside. It didn't smell sweet, but not stinky either. It didn't taste great, but not so bad either. It somehow reminded me of something familiar that I couldn't figure out until my third or fourth bite; it was, I figured, kasutera, or an old-fashioned kind of sponge cake (for more details about kasutera, refer to here; although not mentioned in here, I am pretty sure that today's kasutera most likely uses honey). I don't know what made the cake taste like kasutera, but it must have had something to do with avocado, given that all other ingredients were very common. In any case, kasutera isn't my favorite kind of cake and the avocado bread was, although very interesting in terms of trying out new things, not likely to have a chance to become a staple. I love avocado, but I think there are lot other things that I should make using avocados.

No comments: