Pages

August 29, 2004

too rich for souffle


Wednesday, August 25

I had had some leftover fruits in the fridge for a while. They were one of each of white nectarine, regular nectarine, and plum - too little to make something individually, but just right to be used alltogether. So I used them in baked mascarpone custard.

I first found the recipe in Amanda Hesser's book called Cooking for Mr. Latte: a food lover's courtship, with recipes (2003, W.W. Norton & Co.), in which it was called "apricot slump" (Chapter 34). She got the recipe from her mother-in-law, who got the original recipe in a book Under the Tuscan Sun (Frances Mayes, 1997, Broadway) (got it?). As I was reading the recipe in Cooking for Mr. Latte, I was horiffied with the amount of sugar used and coudn't have the courage to try it. Then when I checked the recipe - called Pears in Mascarpone - in the original book (at Amazon: p139), I figured the amount of sugar was one third of that mentioned in Amanda Hesser's book; 1/2 compared to 1 1/2 cups. As the 1/2 cup sugar seemed to make way more sense, I felt relieved and decided to try this one.

Since I felt particularly lazy this afternoon, I couldn't bother to use the oven and instead used a toaster oven. Slicing up the fruits, whipping up the custard, and putting them together in ramekins and threw them in the toaster oven - so easy bleezy.

Probably because I had set the oven temparature pretty low trying not to burn the custard, it took them almost double the time required in the recipe. Other than that, they looked pretty fluffy like souffle in the oven - and immediately started "slumping" at the moment I opened the door of the oven.



Even so, they were tasty right out of the (toaster) oven, still very hot. Being so rich and buttery, that small dessert didn't allow I me to ignore the fact that they were mostly made of butter, cheese, egg yolk, sugar - definitely not a choice for weight watchers (and in the Amanda Hesser's book it was served with ice cream). But highly satisfying, filling dessert for sure.


P.S. It was nice chilled overnight, too - this way, it didn't taste as buttery as it had been when hot. I don't know if that is "better" or not.

3 comments:

Estelle said...

This sounds very rich, indeed! On a different note,I also noticed that things take longer to cook in a toaster oven, that's way I really prefer using a traditional oven when I bake.

chika said...

Hi Estelle,
I agree that it takes longer to cook stuff in a toaster oven, even if tend to burn things on the surface, that is what the toaster oven are for, I guess, and you are absolutely right in using a regular oven for baking. I just couldn't bother this time and I wish I had a smaller countertop oven such as Delonghi's. :(

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i like it allot!! it looks jummy can u send 1 2 me! lol mmmm xXxXx 

Posted by nikki