Pages

October 30, 2004

about time to cook pumpkin


Thursday, October 28

Halloween was coming up, and it was time to cook pumpkin - in my case kabocha pumpkin, or some call kabocha squash. Today it was a recipe from a last year's Saveur issue (Winter 2003), called roasted squash with sage bread crumbs.

Among all herbs, sage isn't really a one that I use so often, but it was supposed to go well with squash, so I got a bag of fresh sage specially for this dish.

I baked the halves of seeded kabocha squash for about an hour or so - it seemed to be a watery one, as it gave out a terrible amount of water as it baked, which I tried to drain thoroughly.


For the stuffing, the recipe uses a lot of bread crumbs with some butter and sage. Since I didn't have that much of bread crumbs, I used a lot of vegetable instead: chopped carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms, all lightly sauted in olive oil and seasoned with sage, salt and pepper before stuffed in a kabocha half with added bread crumbs and chopped walnuts. It was already smelling good.


Another 20 minutes in the oven and the kabocha was ready. Sage did really go wonderful with kabocha, I thought, making a good contrast to the sweetness of the squash. The stuffing also tasted good with kabocha, too, and I think it would be actually better than the bread crumbs alone, even with a bit extra preparation.

2 comments:

Reid said...

Hi Chika,

I love kabocha and this looks absolutely yummy. I'm going to try to make this for Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid,
I am sure this will make a lovely Thanksgiving dish, a bit for change from usual sort of pumpkin dishes...