Pages

October 31, 2004

CPBB 2004: 2nd installment


Friday, October 29

After my first-of-the-season batch of caramel pound cake, I had been meaning to try another one. I was in the mood for some fruits, a with good match for caramel... such as apple, pear, banana. But all of them had been used in elsewhere in this caramel pound cake baking and blogging event, alas. As I wanted to avoid a repetition for this event, I tried to use something that had not appeared - like orange. Although I knew caramel and orange would make a good pair, I wasn't quite sure if the fruit would go good in this particular cake... I decided to give it a try anyways.

Other than orange, my ideas extended to include various nuts, dried fruits, chocolate, and coffee or tea, etc. I was being so indecisive I ended up making three different flavors/toppings: hazelnuts, orange & pistachio, and fleur de sel.

I used the same recipe (in Japanese) as the last time, replacing about one third of flour with ground hazelnuts. I would normally use ground almonds to make richer, moister cake, but this time around I had a large bag of ground hazelnuts given by my friend, I used them.

As I was using ground hazelnuts in the cake batter, I thought I could add non-ground (aka whole) hazelnuts as well. I divided one third of the batter into three paper muffin cups, topped them with coarsely chopped hazelnuts, and sprinkled with cassonade, or French brown sugar.

Then I halved the rest of batter and added some orange zest to a one half. I could have made it simple, but topped orange-caramel cups with chopped raw unsalted pistachio nuts, which are commonly paired with orange.

The last one-third stayed rather simple, with just added fleur de sel or French exquisite sea salt. I like caramel with fleur de sel, which had inspired me to try this in the cake.

Off they went into the oven (ignore that the batter isn't divided quite equally among three) -


- and came out lovely as ever.


Hazelnuts, the main ingredient for praline, was a natural with caramel cake. I had expected that cassonade would burn a bit and add a further caramel-y layer, but it stayed unmelted on top of the cakes. Even so, the cake tasted really good.


Orange and pistachio was a bit of disappointment, although I had sort of guessed it right. It tasted fine, but I wouldn't try this again or encourage people to try either. It is okay though, as I had wanted to try something fruity and it was fulfilled.


Ones with fleur de sel turned out to be the winner of the time. Very simple but rich with a hint of salt (never salty), the cake tasted good on the day they were baked, but developed its flavor wonderfully well over a few days.

This may look pretty plain with nothing so exciting about it, but I imagine a handsome loaf of fleur de sel caramel cake nestled in the fridge would serve a nice treat with a cup of tea, something I would really appreciate on a rainy day or cold day.

6 comments:

Reid said...

Hi Chika,

What wonderful cakes those are. I especially think the one with hazelnuts would be good. I made the caramel pound cake and it was delicious! I'm going to try to make it with hazelnuts nextime. Thanks again!

Niki said...

Hi,
May I ask how much fleur de sel you used on each small cupcake? I'm interested in trying that idea, but don't want to over (or undersalt)! I think I'll make one large cake, so I'll multiply your amount accordingly...

Anonymous said...

The caramel cake looks wonderful. Where can I find the recipe. Thanks

Sue

chika said...

hello all,

Reid - Glad the caramel pound cake has turned out good for you! Hazelnuts really made a good combo.

Esurient - hm, I didn't exactly measure the salt for this cake as I was sure I wasn't using too much for this small amount of batter (I just used several pinches of fleur de sel). But I did intend to aim for what would normally be contained in salted butter, which is approx. 2-3% in weight. For example, I usually use 100g of butter for this recipe (100g butter roughly equals 7 tablespoons in US standard, just in case anyone used to US standard measurement is interested in this topic); 2-3% salt would thus be 2-3g, which is 2/5 and 3/5 teaspoon, respectively (1 tsp. sea salt typically weighs 5g). And additional pinch or two won't hurt I guess. I hope you have gotten a right idea...

Sue - I have provided a link to the original recipe in the post, but it is in Japanese. If you could drop me a note by email at shewhoeats(at)yahoo(dot)com, I can send you an English translation of the recipe in return. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chika...I will send an email.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
The link you have for the recipe isn't working.. could you send me the recipe? Or post it here?

Thanks 

Posted by Pedro Custódio