Pages

March 22, 2005

citrus frenzy still going on



I have been in the mood for tartelettes au citiron, or small lemon tarts for a while, like these. While I am still going to try the same whole-lemon tart recipe using a Meyer lemon, I did a bit different one recently, using a lemon and one of the last-crop-of-the-season yuzu.

This time I used another tempting recipe I found in book My French Kitchen: A Book of 120 Treasured Recipes by Joanne Harris & Fran Warde (2003, William Morrow). I really was going to make tart dough on my own, I swear, but I ended up using store-bought tartelette shells this time, because I don't own a tartelette pan or anything substitutable.

When you are making lemon tarts and not making tart shells, the easy recipe gets even easier; all I did was zesting and juicing lemon and yuzu, beating an egg with sugar, cream, and butter, and mixing together and filling the cup. The rest was up to the oven.

It seemed as if it would be impossible for these to fail, but they eventually did. Those cheap tart shells couldn't quite hold the runny citrus filling and cracked up as they cooked, in particular lemon tartelettes which had more juice than yuzu ones (yuzu typically don't have as much juice as other citrus including lemon and orange).


Even so, they tasted fine, quite lemon-y and yuzu-y, respectively (the one with paler-looking filling is lemon tart, while the more orang-y one is yuzu), although I found the filling slightly eggy; they might have been a bit underbaked, or I don't know. I don't think I did justice to the recipe though, I should come back and try this by making proper tart shells and paying more careful attention while baking.


Okay, another next-timer here... while good winter citrus supplies last (oh I have so many other things I want to make using citrus fruits!).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. thank you for celebrating citrus! For those of who do not live in Japan might you be interested in showing a photo of a yuzu oneday? I posted about a new citrus, the mandarinquat, and also the Tavaris lime. maybe next year we will be making yuzu and mandarinquat tarts! :}
thank you for a delicious site. 

Posted by shuna

Anonymous said...

Hi Chika,

These look good. It's a shame that they didn't turn out so good. I've always wanted to try yuzu, but I haven't been able to find it here. Maybe they'll be available at Shirokiya sometime....I'll have to keep checking. Meyer lemon tarts sound wonderful right about now. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

hello chika! they look beautiful, nonetheless. we get yuzu every once in awhile, i'll remember this for the next time! 

Posted by santos

Anonymous said...

So, did you know using store-bought tartlet shells are a crime? You are forgiven this time you will have to make your next batch from scratch, even though you have to use your muffin tin :-) Anyway, these look very pretty. I would also be curious to see a picture of these yuzu lemons, hopefully you will be able to share with us... If you are interested, Thomas Keller's recipe for tarte au citron is available on Epicurious' website until June, here  it is... 

Posted by Estelle

Anonymous said...

Yuzu are great, especially in drinks and I've recipe for them somewhere where they're hollowed out and then stuffed with scallops and dengaku miso and cooked. I've never been able to find an English name for them though, do they have one? 

Posted by anthony

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

shuna - that mandarinquat looked really interesting, I have never seen them around. Actually I took a few photos of yuzu to include in this post, but eventually didn't - I am planning to do another yuzu baking soon, and I'll put the pic when I blog about it. So check back!

Reid - It's too bad yuzu are really hard-to-find outside Japan, they're such a lovely thing! I want to make meyer lemon tart, too, but again, they are hard to find over here.

santos - I was astonished to learn yuzu are available in Guam - or anywhere out of Japan. That's great! (BTW, you've got yuzu juice and marmalade, did you know that?)

Estelle - I know I know I know,,, I reall wanted to make proper tart shells for this. I don't even have a muffin tin either, I am going to order a tartelette pan asap.
Thanks for the link to the Thomas Keller recipe! I think I saw it in the book (at a bookstore)... it seems great, even if I normally prefer ones with baked filling :)

anthony - oo I guess I've had something similar. They've got such a lovely aroma, I could put their juice on almost anything :P
I wouldn't think there is an english name for yuzu though - I didn't think they'd be available anywhere but Japan, so it really surprised me that they sell yuzu in Guam 

Posted by chika

Erik aka "Taro" said...

I'm surprised that you're surprised that '' yuzu are available in Guam - or anywhere out of Japan.'' Nowadays, the Engish and French name for yuzu is YUZU, hee, hee (or Japanese "citron" , Citrus medica).
Gee, I even found yuzu in the Websters dictionary: "the Yuzu is doubtless another ichandarin resulting from a cross pollination with some variety of mandarin orange and the Ichang papeda."

Yuzu sorbet has been hyper-mega-trendy in French nouvelle cuisine for sometime now. I have even eaten Yuzu sorbet in a charming bed-&-breakfast in Taos New Mexico I'd know  you should loooove.

 

Posted by Erik aka "Taro"