Pages

May 3, 2005

small universes behind the glasses


Last Saturday afternoon for late lunch I opened up my two brand-new grinders of spice mix to grind them over a simple plate of vegetables. The spices were Elements of Spice by the Cape Herb & Spice Company and the vegetables were roasted potato wedges and green salad.


Potatoes were oven-roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous dose of Grains of Desire, a slightly hot and vitalizing mix of black peppercorns, red rose petals, grains of paradise, ginseng, orange rind, nutmeg, and cloves and salt, finished up with an extra grind before serving.


The salad had mizuna leaves, myoga, and tomatoes dressed with olive oil, vinegar, and several grinds of refreshing and mellow Splash, consisting of sea salt, parsley, black pepper, coriander, nori, sea lettuce, oregano, basil, onion, garlic, poppy seeds, clelery, bay, chilli, lemon grass, mustard seeds, and herb petals.

When my spices are already blended to perfection, there's little I should add on - prepare my vegetables as simple as possible and let the spices do the trick, allowing their flavors to take center stage on my dish.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This look yummylicious! :-) Nice foodie blog 

Posted by penny

Anonymous said...

Grains of Desire sound great!! Shall go see if I can find myself some....
 

Posted by Ling

Anonymous said...

That looks spectacular. It's a nice light meal and very attractive looking too. Yummy! ^^ 

Posted by Tea

Anonymous said...

Chika, how were they? which one did you like better/ I saw these at national azabu in hiro...and I actually have their cinnamon and sugar grinder- but I wasn't sure about the spice mixes. Do you like them?

*Lauren
in Tokyo 

Posted by lauren in tokyo

Anonymous said...

Hi,

penny - thanks!

Ling - I liked that one a lot.

Tea - simple but nice, it was!

Lauren - I liked them both, they had quite a different flavor from each other. I got to sample the flavors (or more like smells) of them at the store and see if I like them before buying. Also, I avoided the mixes containing something I don't like (anything anise-y!) to be safe. 

Posted by chika

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!

I've been following your blog for quite awhile and the photographs are so incredible!
The Cape Herb and Spice entry drove me to Google them and I found Chelsea Markets in NYC carried their spices and rubs. My order of 9 items (couldn't make up my mind!) arrived within 48 hours.
First suggestion: fine grind Solar Power onto Domino's pizza-it makes it almost edible!
Thanks again,
Joann

 

Posted by Joann

Anonymous said...

I am a potato freak, and I believe that tasting that wonderful salad would land me smack in heaven. I love the fact that I stumble into a wonderful blog of someone who knows how to enjoy food as opposed to people who only know how to diet and deprive. Love your blog (an honest confession of love!!) 

Posted by roachz