Pages

December 24, 2009

no white christmas, but...


Warmest wishes from the cold but sunny and gorgeous mountain country Nagano - hope you are having a wonderful time.


It's already Christmas Day here in Japan. I haven't been able to do much for this Christmas, but if I tell you the truth, I've already have my Christmas present for this year - the wonderful few days in a festive Copenhagen in early December.


But I wanted to do at least some Christmas baking, and I've made some last-minute effort in the last couple of days. I've baked fruit cake (this year I used this recipe - easy!), and made semifreddo Christmas puddings, which is basically Christmas pudding-flavored ice cream; lightly spiced vanilla ice cream studded with dried fruits and nuts (recipe from donna hay magazine, 2009 Christmas issue). It is going to be served with shaved white chocolate and brandy syrup, and as I tried small (yes, small) bowlful last night, it tasted lovely. If I can, I'd also like to bake spiced shortbread cookies, also from the same DH magazine issue - but that will depend on how much work I have today (yes, it is a regular work day here in Japan!). And now I'm whipping up some apple Dutch Baby pancakes for breakfast/lunch. I use a recipe mostly based on this one, and although this makes lovely breakfast anytime in the apple season, I think it will be perfect for Christmas Day morning.


So I'm going now, but am leaving a little winter story with you to view if you have a few minutes to spare - here.

It is a piece I made several years ago, also while in Nagano. We are not having a White Christmas this year - we've had some snow last week, but all gone by now. But hey ho...


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! -c xoxo