Pages

May 8, 2005

every rule has an exception, seemingly


Another strawberry dessert, another red wine reduction. This is called strawberries in spiced syrup, and that's basically what it is. Spices involved here include saffron, cinnamon, vanilla, and black pepper - what caught my eye in this recipe was saffron because, of course, I have quite a few strands of saffron from my recent purchase -, and all are blended into red wine along with sugar and zest of orange. Another fool-proof easy-peasy recipe. But I was a bit nervous.

Maybe not that nervous, but I did feel ambivalent. Put simply, I don't care for cooked strawberries. I am positively bitter about the prevalence of strawberry jams/preserves in this world. As far as I am concerned, English scones may possibly be the only acceptable use for strawberry jam; but even there, I'd choose another kind such as raspberry whenever I have an option.

Even so, I did cook my strawberries in the wine for five minutes over high heat, following the instructions.

Cooled and then chilled in the further-reduced wine syrup, my strawberries were served with ice-cream, as suggested in the recipe. What I found was - well, this could be an exception... they tasted okay. Not bad at all. Quite dainty, actually. Probably thanks to the spiced wine, the berries didn't really have that peculiar taste of cooked strawberries (if you know what I mean), and went particularly well with the vanilla ice-cream.

This time saffron wasn't really pronounced in the presence of a stronger spices namely cinnamon. I wouldn't mind making this again though, while the strawberry season lasts. (Actually, I am set to try a couple other strawberry recipes in this season. Busy!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first saw your photo, I started to get cravings for icecream and strawberries. Yum yum!! This dish also seems a little unusual because of the spices and the wine involved, but I'm glad it turned out great. I can't believe you hate Strawberry jam though. It's my favourite jam (if it's made right)...and speaking of jam and scones, I now have a craving for them! =D 

Posted by Tea

Anonymous said...

Looks absolutely scrumptious!
I myself don't feel like trying out any sweets using strawberries for a while, though.... 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

hi, chika.
Today, the weather couldn't be better.
It was very nice without any cloud.
Your picture always stimulates my appetite. Hear that my stomache is alarming to absorb anything edible.
Nowadays I'm working with japanese. Although I can speak a few japanese words, they welcome specially it.
 

Posted by chocopie

Anonymous said...

Hi Chika - I LOVE strawberries and this looks irresistible! Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely creations. 

Posted by keiko

Anonymous said...

I know this might not relate to this post. But I'm just wondering if the French patisserie in Japan tastes the same with the one in Paris. Or is there a difference such as lighter (probably)? I'm trying to write a paper about this topic and maybe you can help me. Thanks. 

Posted by ellen

Anonymous said...

Hey chika - just checked with my fridge...yes there is some vanilla ice cream, I knew I had great strawberries from yesterdays Viktualienmarkt shopping...I'm good to go - this looks very delicious. I'll have to try this afternoon! 

Posted by Oliver

Anonymous said...

Hi chika, I'm with you on cooked strawberries--for me, I hate how they lose their beautiful, fresh aroma. But, your final picture actually looks lovely--I love how darkly stained the berries become.  

Posted by Rachel